I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this one.
I decided to go ahead and use the ‘self-plagiarising’ melody exactly as it is after I asked the musicians of reddit for advice and was told that I was overthinking it.
Things went well for a while. I even wrote another post on reddit thanking the people who had responded to my last post because my composing was going so smoothly. But since then, I’ve become stuck.
I spent about 90 minutes trying to flesh out the ‘bare bones’ version (which is more or less finished) of ‘Follow Me’ before I realised that everything I’d just added sounded wrong. I deleted almost all of the work I’d done. And then I noticed something far more troubling than self-plagiarism: a section of ‘Follow Me’ sounds like real plagiarism.
So now, I’m trying to change the part that sounds worryingly familiar. Once that’s done, I’ll have to start adding instrumentation, but I don’t mind admitting that I haven’t the foggiest on how to go about it. ‘Follow Me’ is determined to give me an uphill struggle.
While I’m stuck and fuming, I’m venting some of my frustration by snipping away at the workload on some of my other pending compositions. I’m getting quite fond of the one with the theme of ‘sword fight’; I’m toying with the idea of coming up with a title for it.