As I did before, I turned out to have underestimated the amount of time it would take to finish my track. I thought all of the arranging was done, but then, I listened to my rendered track on my phone and realised that my mix sounded horrible.
I’ve spent a good 6 hours over the past week adjusting velocity, trying to get the mix to sound loud in all the right places. The velocity changes are done, but ideas for new changes keep popping into my mind. They say that women are fickle; I certainly am. Now I’m getting to the point where I’m starting to loathe ‘Into Winter’, and I haven’t even uploaded it yet.
I could ignore the suggestions for improvement that pester me and upload the mix. Or I could struggle some more. I wouldn’t mind choosing the latter option if only I wasn’t such a slow composer. Six hours it took me to adjust velocity, mind you. I try so hard not to be a perfectionist, but once I sit down at my computer, something else seems to take over.
The only consolation I can take away from this is that the ‘final’ mix of my second piece sounds better than that of my first. It’s not ideal, but it’s a step up—maybe several steps up. At least that’s something.